Fifty plus years my body has been allergy free. The answer to the doctor's allergy question has always been, "No, no allergies." Dry hands in December are a common Minnesota malady, so I availed myself of lotion in a public restroom. Thirty minutes later red inflamed skin, itchiness, and a feeling of hot flashes was overwhelming me. A friend who has allergies quickly drove to the drug store for good ol' Benadryl. Twice the lotion got me. A third time the reaction came from a popular coffee drink I've had many times before.
The latest was a surprise. It occurred after showing a house which smelled of some kind of perfumed spray when we entered. It's a mystery what I touched, what I inhaled, or what touched me, but I found myself digging for the Benadryl once again as we left the showing.
It's been my practice to recommend against potpourri, air fresheners, and perfumed sprays when listing a house in St. Paul. There are a lot of people with allergies that may not view the house because of the allergic reaction to one of these scents. Previously, the reason given was about other people. Now, it's become rather personal!