The water was shut off in this home, but the resident continued to live there. It had become a garbage house and the city became aware of its condition when a new gas line was installed from the street. Until that time, no one had paid attention. Life had gotten out of control for the owner and helplessness had set in. The city officials accessed the St. Paul house by removing a window air conditioner and getting in through the window. A propane heater being used by the resident for heat was removed from the premises. What the city officials found inside was a life completely out of control.
St. Paul's proposed ordinance preventing the sale of this home until it is made code compliant means this owner will lose his/her home because when one doesn't have the money to pay the water bill and garbage service, one certainly doesn't have the money to do a complete code compliance after the garbage is removed. If the St. Paul home owner doesn't have family, friend or social services support, s/he very likely will become homeless. The end of a sad story where life just got to be too much effort and got out of control.