Occasionally I'll encounter behavior in a real estate agent that startles me. The vast majority of agents are hard working professionals, but every so often something slips through that makes me ask, "What are they thinking!?"
- A marketing campaign including billboards featuring the agent in a skimpy bikini. No, I am NOT jealous. It's beyond my comprehension why anyone would solicit potential crazies in a profession that is already known for its dangers (i.e., meeting strangers in vacant houses for a showing).
- Allowing the cell phone voice mail box to become full and letting it stay that way for a period of time. The unspoken message this gives me is that the agent is not very well organized or doesn't take their job seriously.
- Setting up music with suggestive lyrics for the caller to hear instead of the phone ringing. Refer to number 1 above. Sometimes I wonder if the agent has previewed their music selection!
- Instead of sitting at the closing table with their clients, they spend the majority of the closing time in the hall on the phone dealing with other clients or transactions. No agent is too busy to attend the business at hand and when the closing is happening, that is the business at hand!
- Publishing awful photos in the MLS. Some houses are not photogenic, but blurry photos, reflections of the agent in the mirror, photos taken through dirty or rainy windshields, etc., are not in the best interest of the seller client! Athol Kay, an agent in Connecticut, has a whole blog full of bad MLS photos submitted from around the nation!